Sunday, May 16, 2004

A plastic city

So I went home to Dallas this weekend for my sister's graduation. I spent a good 30min trying to avoid running into people that I graduated with. I was totally successful! I didn't say hi to a single one of them.....is that bad? I discovered that highschool girls are looking older and older (clothes and makeup wise) lately. My sis's friend and my little cousin's friends all had on gobs and gobs of makeup and the most revealing outfits even though it was freakin' 50 degrees outside. I felt old and dowdy.

Later after family dinner at a not so great Mexican food restaurant I headed to uptown Dallas to hand with the great Linds. I was really excited because I hardly ever get to see her anymore. I get directions from her friend David and I find the place no problemo except that he told me to go to TABC and when I called to see if I was at the right place, I kept on telling him I was outside of Thomas Avenue Beverage Company. It took us literally 10minutes to realize we were both talking about the same place. Despite it being uptown, it was a total chill bar and had a whole Austiny vibe to it. Then the suggestion was made to go to Manhattan's a bar/club off of McKinney Avenue. This was the epitomy of Dallas. Majority of the women were blond, tan, and wearing expensive clothing (don't forget about the louises!). Oh yeah and of course I couldn't turn with out having a fake boob in my face. It was so scary! I felt so uncomfortable and out of place! Dallas scares me now! The atmosphere at the bar was so agitated. I guess it was because we got there late and everyone was so extremely drunk. I cannot count how many times I had someone fall on me! (the problem with being smaller than everyone else!) It was an interesting experience and it was worth it cause I got to hang out with Lindsey.

My mom tried to convince me to move back to Dallas when my lease is up in August. I just don't think I could live in that atmosphere without totally losing myself. I don't want to look like those people. Oh well I guess Dallas isn't for everyone and neither is Austin (although I think it a wonderful city!).

No comments: